Wednesday, May 2, 2007

A Stroke of Sadness

It has been almost 3 years since my father-in-law underwent an open heart surgery at Asian Medical Hospital. Now he is back for suffering a stroke. He was brought from Zambales to Manila for immediate medical treatment upon the doctor's advise. So today, I accompanied my husband to visit him. It wasn't that good since he is in ICU and most likely will suffer a partial paralysis. A therapy is seen forthcoming.

As I look at him in lying in his hospital bed sedated, I remembered my own dad when he suffered the same fate. The thought of not being able to do what you want to do & depend on others for even the basic things can be a definite source of depression for a man who has led an active life. I guess, my father-in-law, who is stubborn when it comes to his diet, will have to learn his lesson the hard way.

All of a sudden, I felt a surge of sadness for him. You see, I have grown fond of my father-in-law through the years that I've known him. Although he is not the typical grandfather to my kids, he tries to show his affection in a way that he knows. My kids would always look forward to go to "Lolo Kit's" place every chance that they could get. He was full of vigor, ideas & a good businessman. He has his imperfections, many in fact, but despite that, he is easy to get along with that you would dismiss those flaws right away.

I just pray that he would be able to recover so that my kids would be able to get back the old "Lolo Kit" that they always knew.

No comments: