Friday, April 27, 2007

Leaving in order to Live

Much has been said about our OFWs being our modern day heroes. It is a sad fact that our next door professionals Juan & Maria are moving to what they perceive as "greener pasture".

Life is so hard here that even the middle income families feel the crunch of our depreciating peso. I, myself feel this. Whenever I go to the grocery, I would notice that having 3000 php in your pocket would only give you a handful of supplies.

The Filipino diaspora is a sad reality. Our doctors, nurses, pilots etc., all highly skilled workers would leave their own country to seek a better future. They choose to be uprooted and start all over again in a country that they never knew. It is a hard decision to make. Likewise, it is a big sacrifice not only for the person leaving but also for the ones that will be left behind. But are there any options for an ordinary, middle class Filipino who is finding it hard to make both ends meet? I couldn't blame them if they decide to turn their head the other way.


For me, I am not closing the door at the possibility of migrating to another country for the sake of my children's future. It is not about meeting the day to day expenses or being financially stable. It is about looking much much farther. When I am 50 years old and my kids are all grown up and have families of their own, would the state of our country be different? Would it have changed for the better or worsened? It is not being pessimistic or negative. It is being realistic that our country is being maneuvered by the same faces that do not give importance to the welfare of their countrymen. I am not saying that all our public servants are like that. There may be a handful who are really intent on uplifting the lives of the Filipinos. But what is a handful compared to a majority?

For the sake of our future generation, I hope to God that it is still not too late for the Philippines. I know that no matter where our fellow Filipinos are, the Philippines would still be in their heart.

No comments: