Sunday, June 10, 2007

Passing only Once

My dear friend recently emailed me about her friend who died of Hemorrhagic Stroke at the ripe age of 32 years old. What a waste! I could just imagine the grief his family underwent for his untimely death.

I may not know this guy personally but his story made me remember that life is indeed short. Death doesn't choose anyone nor the time, nationality and age. It strikes us when we least expect it. This ought to remind us that we must make the most of the time that we have in this world.

As parents, we are often consummated in the task of earning so as to give our children the best education that we could afford. This is a noble intention and I salute the parents who strive to prepare for their child's future. However, this would mean having both parents work. Before, a family could live solely on one income but with the rising costs of just about everything, a double income becomes a necessity.

So, how do we slow down when we know we need to work and earn? How do we aim for the work life balance? How do we make our presence felt in the lives of our children in their growing up years? Is this possible? The answer is YES. It is a matter of priorities, of distinguishing what is important and what is not. Our society today is filled with so much distractions that muddles our thinking.

The truth of the matter is we have to give up something in order to gain something. If both parents are working, they would have to give up or lessen after office activities like drinking and going out with friends so as to be home early. This would mean learning to say NO to accepting more projects or pushing for overtime. Instead it would mean getting home early so as to have time to tutor the kids, have dinner with them or spend more leisure time with them. Yes, it entails a lot of sacrifice but in the end it would be worth it knowing that you did not miss out on your children's lives.

It is not just about making money and building a career. It is not about the number of cars you have or the number of zeroes your bank account has. It is about making memories with your loved ones... of sharing simple pleasures. These are the things that would be relevant at the end of the day that no matter when Death would call, we would have no regrets.

I'd like to end this post by a song that was sung by a priest in a recollection that I attended. I could not remember the whole song but the line that touched me most was:

"Show me your kindness,
Show me your love
For I shall pass this way only ONCE."





No comments: