Saturday, March 31, 2007

Graduation

Today, I attended my son's Grade 7 graduation. Pride and joy filled my heart as I watched him and his father march and go up the stage. Looking so handsome & grown up in his formal barong, it made me realize how grown up my eldest son is and how far we have raised him. I couldn't help but reminisce his pre-school days when he would cling to me the minute he loses sight of me. I know that this is just a grade school graduation ceremony but it is a different feeling when it is your own child you see on stage receiving the diploma.

My son graduated as a regular student. He is an average student with no failing grades but no awards either. I must admit that there are instances wherein I wish my son would bring home a medal. And as I look at him on stage, I realized that he is a very good son. Yes, he may not have brought home any medals or awards but achievement is not measured by medals alone. In these times wherein competition is tough and parents are more focused on grades, we sometimes forget that there are other ways to measure the success of our children. High grades, awards & medals do not really guarantee a bright future. After graduation and when our kids start looking for their own niche in the workplace, it is not only medals that they must have. They must also have the proper values that will help them be an asset in the community they belong to.

No comments: