Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Marketing Trend

My friend contacted me last week asking if they can get me and my daughter to join a focus group discussion for a chocolate drink company. They were looking for moms with a 7 to 9 year old child and somehow I fit the profile.

So yesterday, at 5 pm, they came into my house and posed all sorts of questions mainly focusing on my relationship with my daughter and what sorts of things do we do together. They presented to me pictures of prospective packaging for their product and asked what appealed to me most and why. They also showed various pictures of what would describe my relationship with my daughter. The discussion lasted for about 2 hours wherein they ended it by giving a token of their appreciation for the time I spent with them.

It was a breeze and surprisingly I enjoyed the whole thing. Today’s research companies use a lot of these focus group discussions to get a feel of what consumers want in their product. Gone are the days wherein they would do the surveys via phone. They would rather spend time and resources on really getting to know their market before launching a new ad on TV or print.

A wise decision, I would say. It would definitely save them heaps of of money.

1 comment:

Kat said...

Kids over here can..

Uproot a tree with one hand…
Hit a ball over the stadium into bay of bengal…
Score 120 marks out of 100 in exams…

And come running home effortlessly jumping over hedges, holding lots of Cups in both hands…

to be greeted by their smiling mother holding a Sweet Chocolate drink :-D So goes the advertisements in Tele.

Sometimes I wonder if our drink makers have managed to lay their hands on Asterix’ magic potion formula..!!!!!